Can children under 18 fly alone?
Yes, and even younger!
Unaccompanied Minor Services
Under 8 years old
We do not allow children under the age of 8 to travel alone on our flights.
Children 8-11 years old
Children between the ages of 8-11 years (having reached their 8th birthday but not their 12th birthday) can travel alone but require the Unaccompanied Minor Service.
Children over 12 years old
Children that have reached their 12th birthday are booked as adults on our website and may travel on their own. Please note that they cannot accompany infants or other children under the age of 12 unless they have reached their 18th birthday. The Unaccompanied Minor Services are available for this age group but not required.
PLAY does not require a declaration of approval from a parent/guardian. Keep in mind that this does not necessarily apply to the rules of the country/destination to which the child is traveling, and therefore we strongly recommend that the child travels with a declaration of approval. Here you can find more information about the consent letter for children travelling abroad: https://island.is/en/childrens-trips-abroad/declaration-of-consent.Link opens in a new tab
We do not offer the Unaccompanied Minor Services on connecting flights between Europe and North America (via Iceland).
What to do next?
If you wish to book the Unaccompanied Minor Services for your child, please carefully read the following guidelines
- Unaccompanied Minor Services must be booked via our Service Team no later than 2 business days prior to the flight.
- The price for the Unaccompanied Minor Service is 92 USD per flight leg but the fee is only charged once per flight leg for children traveling together (with the same booking number).
- Light refreshment + soft drink on board is included in this price.
- The child needs to present a valid passport.
- The parent/guardian is required to print out 4 copies of this formLink opens in a new tab, fill it out and bring it to the check-in desk 2 hours prior to departure. This form should be kept with the child until the end of travel as it includes all information regarding the child, the parent/guardian who brings the child to the airport, who picks the child up at the arriving airport, etc.
- The parent/guardian who brings the child to the departing airport must present valid identification and stay at the airport until the child's flight has departed.
- From check-in to the aircraft, a member of our Ground Handling staff will assist the child to their seat in the aircraft.
- The child is boarded first to the aircraft and is seated before other passengers are boarded.
- Our cabin crew will keep an eye on them during the flight.
- Upon arrival, the child is the last to disembark from the aircraft and should wait in his/her seat until all passengers have left the airplane.
- Our Ground Handling staff at the arriving airport will assist the child through baggage claim and passport control if applicable.
- Our Ground Handling staff member will meet the parent/guardian who is registered to pick the child up after the baggage claim.
- The parent/guardian who is picking the child up at the arriving airport must present valid identification.
At the time of booking, you are required to provide the following details:
- Full name and date of birth of the child/children traveling alone
- Email address & phone number of the contact person in the booking
- Full name, phone number & home address of the person who is bringing the child to the airport
- Full name, phone number & home address of the person who is picking the child up at the destination airport
You can book this service by following this linkLink opens in a new tab. From there, choose the option "My child/children are traveling on their own and I need to book unaccompanied minor services".
After you complete and submit the form the request is handled by our Service Team. You will get a response as soon as possible, the latest within 48 hours or the next business day. From there, a member of our Service Team will instruct you on the next steps and how to prepare the child/children for the flight.
In the case of any unforeseen circumstances or if we foresee a possibility that we might need to land at an alternate airport, we will not accept the child as an unaccompanied minor on board.
Our cabin crew is not trained to administer medication during the flight so if your child has a medical condition that requires any such procedures, we do require them to be able to administer the medication themselves.
We do require the child to be able to help themselves with basic needs (feeding, bathroom, etc.). Our cabin crew is not trained to administer food or assist in the bathroom.
Please note that insufficient identification, the possibility that nobody will pick the child up at the arriving airport or any suspicious activity may prevent us from accepting the child for travel.